Friday, February 11, 2011

BP4_Read The Words.com

Logo property of ReadTheWords.com








Link to Website: http://www.readthewords.com/

One of the problems I encountered with this tool was the embedded code did not work properly. You are given three options for embedded code that is supposed to be specifically designed for use with Blogger, WordPress, or Other Web Sites. The code for Blogger did not work. I had to change the coded height to get more than the top of the head to appear in the above examples. If you have no experience writing programming code you will find this task frustrating if not impossible to resolve. (Also note, to use embedded code on your blog you must click the "Edit HTML" version of your post and paste the code.)

In addition, after I tested the third free sample, I was no longer able to go back and edit. This is why the second avatar above has the wrong voice and still cannot properly pronounce the word "blog". The fact that the program cannot say the word without correction leaves me to believe the programming is outdated. My universal text to speech function on my Mac had no difficulty pronouncing the words I had typed.

The "idea" is a good one. It would be nice to be able to create a talking head that gave direction and could be placed wherever you wanted it. I like the way the avatars' eyes follow your cursor. Unfortunately, my experience of this tool was not positive enough to make me want to spend money using it. 

One thing I found very suspect was the following testimonial. The woman portrayed is free Clip Art from Microsoft that I recognize because I used it in a previous project. 
Screen Shot of ReadTheWords.com taken February 10, 2011 (http://www.readthewords.com/TestTeachers.aspx)


Personally, I will not be subscribing to this tool as I believe other tools such as Go!Animate can do the job for a lower cost with less frustration. If you have had a different experience with this tool, I would love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Lori,
    Thank you for the honest review of readthewords.com. I like tools that are simple to use and do not require the adjustment of code.

    The only avatar tool I have come close to using was Xtranormal.

    I'm sorry to hear that you experienced frustration with this tool. Is it also a tool that you have to pay for? That would make it even more frustrating.

    However, I am glad that you shared your experience here so that I can stay away from it. :) I will try Go!animate instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I think this site would be good if it did not have all those problems. I know that you have looked over the site to see how you are able to embed that working code for Blogger. But it as is know fact that site have malfunctions and this was one. I appreciate your honest review of the site.

    ReplyDelete