Saturday, February 5, 2011

BP3_iGoogleScreenShots

Clip Art from Dover Publications


"Personal Learning Environments are systems that help learners take control of and manage their own learning. This includes providing support for learners to * set their own learning goals * manage their learning; managing both content and process * communicate with others in the process of learning”
Reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_learning_environments

Since the Internet began, I have been in love with the ability get information “on demand”. Now, it is easier than ever.  High-speed access to the mass of information available means I no longer have to call the reference desk at the library when I need to know something.  I can get information 24 hours a day at will.  This has been a wonderful development for me. 

However, access does not replace desire and intent.  It is still important to want to learn and have the desire to become more knowledgeable.  I still know people who are steadfast against “change”.  They are unwilling to develop those aspects of the personality that result in true growth and insight.  This is very hard for me to relate to.  If there is something I do not know or cannot do, then that is my challenge.  What is there to gain by doing only what we are already good at?

After I had acquired a high level of skill in academic tasks, I chose to major in fine arts.  In graduate school, I studied psychology.  Now, it’s multimedia and design.  Doing what is challenging is what creates those new connections in the brain and provides new insight into what it means to be human.  This desire does not need a formal education to develop when it is readily available electronically. 

Daniel Pink, in his book A Whole New Mind, recommends visiting random websites on a regular basis to develop your intuitive right brain.  By exposing yourself to diverse information you can gain insights and develop connection between disparate ideas.  These insights and ability to make connections, according to Pink, are what will drive future innovation and the new workforce.

Here is a link to a website that allows you to surf the net randomly discovering things you would not otherwise be exposed to:


For this week’s assignment, I set up iGoogle pages to more easily manage my self-learning and access to sites I need for my university program.  The screen shots follow.  In addition to the required gadgets,  I added others that I enjoy. Two of my favorites are Artist A Day, and the Hamster pet that happily moves around on my page. 
iGoogle Home Page
iGoogle FSO Tab
iGoogle CBR Tab

iGoogle ETC Tab


No comments:

Post a Comment