Wednesday, February 2, 2011

BP1_Welcome to my blog

Image - Adolphe-William Bourguereau, The Proposal; 1872 by Dover Clipart

This blog is intended for the journey through concepts in Multimedia and Education. I hope I will be able to share interesting and insightful information with you over time.  I look forward to getting to know you and letting you know me. It is fortuitous that I begin this month, since I was born in February it is the true beginning of a New Year for me. 

Let’s get started!

Speaking in February

I just began local classes on diction and broadcasting in order to improve my multimedia projects.  It has made me acutely aware of my speech. I wonder if I speak in a way that can be easily understood, is interesting, and pleasing to the ear. In broadcasting class, we are lectured about the attributes of voice actors and radio personalities.

Some of the advice I received was the ABC’s by James Alburger.

A = Audience: Define the “person” you are talking to. You are always talking to that one person, it will make you sound more natural and make a better connection.

B = Backstory:  What happened right before your story begins?  If you don’t know the backstory- make one up!  This will add more authenticity when you know the character's motivations, attitude, and purpose for speaking.

C = Character:  Who are you as the speaker? What is your role? The more you “know” about your character the better.  I take this to extend to being ourselves since we wear many roles in life and are different for different people.

Now M.O.V.E. (Movement Orchestrates Vocal Expression)
When you stand you breathe better and sound better. Moving you body expressively when you speak improves the quality of your vocal expression.

First- Warm Up
It will help you relax and have a soothing voice. Just like singers or athletes, warming up improves the performance and sound of your voice. Take a look at vocal exercises and use them to prepare.

iMovie and Apple Help

I would also like to share a favorite website with you:



5 comments:

  1. Love the blog! You really do inspire me to do more. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and welcoming, Lori. Happy birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of using animation because I am not in a grade school and wouldn't think it would be appropriate in a corporate setting. Last night in our Wimba session someone (it was you, wasn't it?!) reminded me there's a part of all of us that wants to connect with our inner child, whether we are 8, 18 or 80 years old. Animation may be just the tool to bring it out in our students...no matter what their age or the setting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not me, I was tied up last night. I do agree. I think about the fact that all animation was originally created by adults. Most older cartoon humor is beyond the level of child consumers. It is also an outlet for creating characters out of people you know and yourself. There is a long tradition of that amongst artists. There were many complaints by politicians who found their faces depicted in hell on the wall of the Vatican. Also, gargoyle sculptors make portraits of their fellow workers. I saw one piece where the artist added a tool belt to a piece so there would be no mistake it was his friend! There is mounting evidence that the best workplaces are ones filled with healthy humor. I had each person design themselves so there would be no chance of insulting anyone by getting their appearance wrong.

    ReplyDelete