Sunday, September 18, 2011

Response 1 MAC Wk3

Daniella Wrote:

Wk 3 The Art of Possibility


While reading the Art of Possibility I kept thinking the book was talking directly to me…corny I know! I have been having a difficult time reaching my new class this school year, they are unmotivated to learn and unwilling to take responsibility for their actions. I have attempted just about everything I have up my sleeve. I have had to take a step back and re-analyze my job. As I was reading the statement “how much greatness are we will to grant?” (p. 73). It is my job to inspire and bring out the best qualities these kids have, as the book said I am going to have to speak to their passions. I am going to have make connection with them. These chapters made me feel like I can still go in a make a difference. I have been feeling a little defeated and needed something to give me inspirations. I think this was it. I am looking forward to making a change!
My response: 
Hi Daniela,
You post reminded me of a first grade teacher I worked with in Berkeley. Her class had a "hippie" thinking Kindergarten teacher who thought they were there to just have a good time and be free. They had no idea what it meant to follow rules and stay in their seats. When I first went in her classroom it reminded me of the locked psych ward at the VA hospital that the book "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's" was based on. Over time the class settled somewhat but she also had to change her perspective and ignore some of the odd behaviors in order to teach. She used to apologize when I observed but I completely understood. You may want to try putting the most difficult students in charge so they can start having some empathy. It worked for a friend counseling the baddest of the bad teenage offenders.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment